Skip to content
Click to Call Schedule An Appointment
Mitten Heritage Fraternal Society of Insurance

13892 Hough Road
Berville, MI 48002

Get Directions

Chimney Safety Tips

Leaning towards an old wood-burning fireplaces to help cut your heating bill this winter? Before you spark a log you should know, fireplaces and chimneys are involved in 42% of all home-heating fires. So before you use your fireplace, ensure you know how to properly use it and follow these safety tips.

  1. Hire a chimney sweep – The National Fire Protection Association recommends that chimneys be swept at least once a year to remove soot and debris. A professional chimney sweep should also inspect for any damages.
  2. Cap your chimney – Chimney caps will keep rain, birds, squirrels, and debris from entering your chimney. Repair or replace a missing or damaged cap.
  3. Burn seasoned hardwood – Choose dense wood that has been split and stored in a high and dry place for at least 6 months.
  4. Don’t overload – Small fires generate less smoke and less creosote buildup. Large, hot fires can potentially crack your chimney.
  5. Build it right – Place logs at the rear of the fireplace on a metal grate. Use kindling instead of flammable liquids to start the fire.
  6. Use a spark guard. Spark guards will prevent embers from shooting out of the fireplace. A guard in front of the fireplace is especially important when the room is unoccupied.

Winter is coming. It will be here before we know it. Get everything prepared for the cold months now before it’s too late! Stay warm and safe all winter long. Another good tip is to contact our agency to review your homeowners insurance policy before you strike a match.


When should you review your home insurance?

Home insurance is something that needs to change as you and your home change. It needs to be reviewed to make sure that it is meeting your current needs. At Mitten Heritage Fraternal Society of Insurance in Berville, MI we have been providing personalized service to our customers since 2012.  

When your policy is renewed

Most home insurance policies are reviewed yearly. When you get your policy, whether it is a paper copy or a digital copy, you should read the Declaration Page. This gives you all the details of your coverage. You will see the amount of property coverage you have, coverage for additional structures, content coverage, and liability coverage. Any additional coverage and discounts you are eligible for will also be listed. You should study it diligently to determine if it makes sense to you. 

When you make major renovations

If you have increased the square footage of your home with an addition or by finishing your basement or attic, it can increase the value of your home. If you do bathroom and kitchen upgrades, this can also increase the value of your home. Be sure to let your insurance agent know if any of these things apply to you. 

When your need for liability coverage increases

If you have added a pool to your home or gotten a trampoline for your children, your liability has increased. If you have added a dog to your home, this also increases your liability. 

When you install safety equipment

If you have added a home security system to your home this can make you eligible for a discount. This also applies to other safety equipment like smoke detectors. 

We Are Here To Help

Contact Mitten Heritage Fraternal Society of Insurance in Berville, MI when you need an independent insurance agency to help you with your home insurance needs. 

Making sure your home is properly covered for a disaster

How to avoid being underinsured

For many people, their home is their greatest asset, so it is crucial to avoid being underinsured. To properly insure your home, it is important to ask your insurance professional four key questions.

1. Do I have enough insurance to rebuild my home?

Your policy needs to cover the cost of rebuilding your home at current construction costs. Unfortunately, some homeowners simply purchase enough insurance protection to satisfy their mortgage lender. Others confuse the real estate value of their home with what it would cost to rebuild it.

2. Do I have enough insurance to replace all of my possessions?

Most homeowners insurance policies provide coverage for your personal possessions for approximately 50 percent to 70 percent of the amount of insurance you have on the structure of your home. If you have $100,000 worth of coverage on the structure of your home, you would be covered for $50,000 to $70,000 worth of the contents of your home, depending on the policy.

The best way to determine if this is enough coverage is to conduct a home inventory, which details everything you own and the estimated cost to replace these items if they are stolen or destroyed by a disaster.

3. Do I have enough coverage for additional living expenses?

Coverage for additional living expenses pays the extra costs of temporarily living away from your home if you can’t live in it due to an insured disaster such as a hurricane. It covers hotel bills, restaurant meals, transportation and other living expenses incurred while your home is inaccessible or being rebuilt.

4. Do I have enough insurance to protect my assets?

Although not a key element in disaster planning, it is also important to have adequate liability protection. This covers you against lawsuits for bodily injury or property damage that you or your family members may cause to other people. It also pays for damage caused by pets.

Your answers to these 4 questions will give you a good idea if your home is properly covered.  Don’t wait until it’s too late to know if your home insurance policy will cover your home and its possessions.


What Does Home Insurance Cover?

The agents at Mitten Heritage Fraternal Society of Insurance serving the Berville, MI area want you to know that home insurance is designed to provide protection against financial losses that you could suffer if your home is damaged or destroyed along with some of its contents.

While home insurance policies vary in the coverage they provide, there are certain things that they do cover if the image is caused by a fire, burglary, natural disasters, or acts of vandalism.

What Does Home Insurance Cover?

Home insurance will cover the physical structure of your house as well as any outbuildings and attachments, such as your garage or deck.

Home insurance will also cover your personal items that are inside your home. These can include your clothing and furniture as well as your appliances, electronic devices, and other things you own. It is imperative to remember that personal property coverage does have limits, so if you have very expensive items, such as jewelry or rare artwork, you will want to add on a policy to cover those items to your regular homeowner insurance policy.

If someone trips and falls at your house and is injured, home liability coverage insurance is very important to have in place. This will help pay for that person’s medical bills and other expenses and even cover legal expenses for you if the person files a lawsuit against you.

If you have to relocate to a different home while your house is being repaired or rebuilt after it is damaged in some sort of incident, your home insurance policy can provide you with additional living expenses. This can include helping you with the rent of another place if you’re going to be displaced from your home for a lengthy amount of time or even a hotel stay, as well as meals and other expenses you may incur.

Reach Out To Us

Contact the experienced home insurance agents at Mitten Heritage Fraternal Society of Insurance serving the Berville, MI area to get your policy started today!

What Are My Home Insurance Coverage Options?

Does the thought of purchasing home insurance overwhelm you? You’re not alone. There’s a high chance that most Berville, MI residents don’t understand in detail what home insurance is all about. Fortunately, Mitten Heritage Fraternal Society of Insurance is your trusted partner in clarifying issues.

Here are some of the coverage options you need to know about:

Liability Coverage

Liability coverage protects you if a guest is injured in your home. For instance, if your dog bites the guest or they trip on a cracked pavement and get injured, the policy will cover the resulting medical expenses or legal fees. This protection also applies to guest property damage that happens around your property.

Contents Coverage

No doubt, you own property in your home. This includes appliances, furniture, clothing, and electronics. If these items are exposed to risks like vandalism, fire, hail, or water damage, this policy will help cover the repair or replacement expenses. However, this policy doesn’t extend to precious items like art or jewelry. Our agents will be happy to talk to you about how you can protect such things.

Dwelling Coverage

This coverage protects your home structures, such as walls, floors, ceilings, and fixed structures like sinks, cabinets, and bookcases. Should you encounter a risk that damages these parts, dwelling coverage will compensate you for the loss you incur. Detached structures such as sheds and garages are also covered here.

Loss of Use Coverage

This type of coverage is also called additional living expenses (ALE) insurance. It helps pay for the additional expenses you incur, such as housing and meals if you encounter a covered event such as fire or vandalism.

Contact Us Today

Protect your home in Berville, MI with our insurance experts at Mitten Heritage Fraternal Society of Insurance. We will help you find the right coverage option based on your needs.

Things home insurance won’t cover

Home insurance makes it possible to sleep at night knowing your home is protected. So many things can go wrong. It is vital to ensure you have the right insurance and understand what it covers. At Mitten Heritage Fraternal Society of Insurance in Berville, MI, we take our responsibility as independent insurance agents seriously. We are committed to sharing our knowledge and giving our clients the benefit of that experience.

Owner Neglect

Owner neglect covers a lot of ground, and you may not have even considered some of the things that are considered neglect. As a homeowner, you probably think it is up to you to decide what treatments you should have done and when to do your repairs. Wrong, your insurance carrier can tell you what you should have done if you try to collect on your insurance.

If you have termites, you should get termite treatment, so you don’t sustain any damage. If you have a leaking roof, you should replace your old roof before it starts to leak. Your insurance has the right to expect you to do upkeep and repairs on your home.


Floods can be very damaging. They are not covered by standard home insurance. Luckily, if you are in an area where the danger of flooding exists, you can buy flood insurance from the NFIP.

Earth Movement

Earth movement covers several common hazards: earthquakes, sinkholes, and mudslides. All of them involve earth movement, and none are covered.

Sewer Backup

What could be grosser than having your sewer back up into your house? Having a swear backup and finding out that your home insurance doesn’t cover it. Don’t say you weren’t warned. Look for an endorsement if the thought worries you.

Contact Mitten Heritage Fraternal Society of Insurance in Berville, MI for all your insurance needs.

quote-icon Comparing Quotes - Made Simple

Compare your unique insurance quotes
online via our comparative quoting form.

Get Started Today!

Get A Quote!